Monday, May 31, 2010

Kiss Me Again - Chapter 5: "In my Place" - Drabbles

I wanted to give more information about Jasper's feelings and thoughts during the events from last chapter. 

These drabbles are dedicated to Darkira, for her birthday:
Happy belated Birthday Kira!




Thank you to Naelany, who challenged me by giving me the POV and prompts. 
Thanks to Penny, Mrs. Agget and OCDJen for pre-reading and beta'ing.
---

AFTERMATH

“And finally, I would like to introduce you to your new Manager, Mr. Jasper Whitlock!” Everyone applauded except one colleague, who walked out, banging the door.

Memories of getting knocked out by the infamous coworker, who was fully expressing his anger. He even brought a friend to restrain me. 

The stench of alcohol hit me with each blow I received. Four months, the revelation I was gay, and a couple of drinks was what it took for him to confront me. 

Strangely enough, getting beaten up wasn’t exactly what I had expected in the aftermath of my promotion. Go figure!

-oOo-

TIDAL WAVE 

“It’s either a bloodstone in your brain or a retina detachment.”

Same time, five days ago, I was making love to Edward. Today, I was losing my sight in my left eye and waiting for the diagnostic.

“Should I pick one?”

The intern smiled sadly. “We will first examine your eye and proceed from there.” 

I nodded, absently following his form as he left the room. I shut my traitorous eyes and clenched my jaw, trying to push away the tidal wave of panic that frightened to submerge me.

Edward’s loving embrace saved me seconds before it broke on me.

-oOo-

STING

A hand on my shoulder, shaking me.

"Wake up."

Flashes of lights directly inserted in my eye. I couldn’t swallow. My throat was so sore.

"Water… please."

"In a minute. Open your eye!"

I couldn’t. The eyelid was unresponsive and seemed stuck closed. I touched a soft patch on my left eye. I pushed and felt a cruel sting of pain.

"Don't touch it. The surgery went well; we saved your eye. Here is some ice."

Finally, cold water waking me up, giving fuel to my brain to process everything.

"You're going to be just fine, Mr. Whitlock."

Yes, sure...

-oOo-

EQUILIBRIUM

The harsh equilibrium of life: love and hate, heaven and hell, joy and pain. 

I guess I was just too lucky lately, especially with Edward in my life. Something wrong had to happen. There was no way around it.

I could even picture a little red devil on my shoulder, whispering softly in my ear: “Relax and enjoy the ride.” And then me, in a rollercoaster car, eyes wide, mouth open shouting my lungs out, hands tensing on the metal bar protecting me, with my head upside down.

Ok! Maybe I need to lower the dosage of my pain medicine.

-oOo-

SOOTHE

“Did you promote me for my competences or to piss him off?”

“What are you talking about, Jasper?”

I already knew the answer. Irina wasn’t someone you provoked or rejected, and Royce had done both by declining her advances and stealing her clients. So she retaliated by giving his long-awaited promotion to the one person he would loathe the most: me, a younger version of him.

“What happened is really unfortunate, but you are a real asset to this company. We want you here.”

Fake flatteries coming from a vicious mouth wouldn’t soothe me the least.

“Yeah, well, I resign.”

No comments:

Post a Comment