Friday, July 23, 2010

Here and Now: a Twilight Drabble


HAPPY BIRTHDAY OnTheTurningAway! 


Time
I close my eyes as a fresh breeze blows, caressing my face softly, welcoming me back here.

Taking a deep breath, I inhale the pure air coming from the lake, the fresh grass still wet from today’s drizzle, and the smell of the autumn leaves on the ground.


In the old tree by your cottage, birds are singing their lullabies, soothing the nature to sleep.


I am the only one who will stay awake at night, now and forever, remembering your musical laugh, your bright smile, and your warm embrace. Memories of you before you fell asleep, for all eternity.



Peace

I step over the scattered chunks of the wooden door. I can see the stormy sky through the holes on the roof.

Your cottage is empty.


No furry rug by the chimney to leisurely cuddle against you, no comfortable chairs to spend hours listening to your passion for History, no more large bed, to kiss your lips, caress your silky body, and fill you with my love.

You pushed me out of your life, creating a void that never disappeared, but I found my peace in knowing that you were still part of this world. Now, my heart is inconsolable.


Offering
You made me a real man, undying flesh but human feelings, indestructible strength but vulnerable to love. You showed me what was the true meaning of having a heart, beating or not. You gave me back my soul.

You were a breathing creature, but I brought you back to life. You fathered a family, but I made you complete. You were considered a respectable member of your community, but in my arms, you realized who you really were.

I offered you a place by my side, in my world, where you belonged. But you refused.

“This isn’t my destiny, Edward.”


Refuge

These brief instants of pure happiness became our refuge, giving us the courage we needed to confront the reality of our existence. Stolen moments of love to fill years of solitude. Short intakes of fresh air to survive through a life in apnea.

Until wrinkles on your face created gaps in our love, and my firm body against your aging one caused you embarrassment instead of arousal.

Until one day your absence welcomed me home.

You left me a letter on the table:

“Never doubt that I love you. 
I’ll see you in another time, another life.
Yours eternally,
Carlisle.”



Chance

Stepping outside, I contemplate for one last time your cottage. I imagine you here, standing by the lake, your blond hair fluttering in the wind, your eyes reflecting the menacing sky. Hands in your pockets, you seem lost in your thoughts, until you feel my presence and smiling brightly, you walk towards me.

“Are you Edward?”

Blurry visions of you disappear, revealing a beautiful man, who strikingly resembles you.

“I’m Jasper. My Grandad Carlisle asked me to give you this letter.”

Unsealing your message, I read your last wish.

“Now and here. Love him more than you ever loved me.”

--"Balcony Scene" - Romeo + Juliet
AN: Thanks to Naelany for the prompts and to OCDJen and Mrs. Agget for pre-reading and betaing. And of course, I don’t own Twilight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment